This is Dan from Primal4Life bringing you a “Chocolate Pudding Pie.” Whoever said Paleo was just protein, fruits and veggies? If Cavemen had an oven, and a pie plate, they’d be baking this dessert right here! Today we are making a delicious Chocolate Pudding Pie that is made with prehistoric ingredients that even one of the best Paleo cook books would include… “Make It Paleo” is a phenomenal book with great recipe ideas and easy to read. Usually a pie would consist of a graham-cracker crust, but not this one! This crust is actually good for you, packed with almonds that bring you healthy fats and lots of great flavor. Hmm… Sounds like Julian Bakery’s almond Paleo Bread, doesn’t it? And rather than sugar, we’re using maple syrup; and only ½ a cup of it. The book “Make It Paleo” is available through….. You guessed it! Julian Bakery! The book itself is over 400 pages long, and it is packed with a huge variety of meals Link: http://www.julianbakery.com/paleo-product/make-it-paleo-book-forwarded-by-mark-sisson/ . So far we have made several, and all of them have been nothing short of fantastic!
Ingredients (for the crust):
• 2.5 cups almond flour
• ½ cup salt
• ½ tsp baking soda
• ½ cup palm shortening
• 2 tbsp maple syrup
•2 tbsp vanilla extract
Directions (for the crust):
1) Preheat oven to 325 F
2) In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3) In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (make sure to melt the palm shortening before mixing it into the batter, about 40 seconds in the microwave does the trick).
4) Stir wet ingredients into dry.
5) Pat the dough into a 9-inch glass pie dish, and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
6) Remove from oven to cool.
• 15 minutes
• 10-15 minutes
Ingredients (for the pie):
• 1 almond flour pie crust (see above)
• 3 egg yolks, whites whipped
• 24 oz coconut milk (1.5 cans)
• 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
• 2 tbsp unflavored gelatin
• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
Directions (for the pie):
1) Make almond flour pie crust
2) Separate egg yolks from whites. Set whites aside in dish and refrigerate.
3) Combine all ingredients (except egg whites) in a sauce pan.
4) Bring to a light boil while stirring.
5) Set aside and let cool.
6) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set.
7) Whip egg whites until stiff.
8) Fold egg whites into the pudding.
9) Pour mixture into crust and chill until serving.
Makes: 1 pie